Living in the Chicagoland area means having to deal with heavy traffic every day. At some point, you're very likely to be in a car accident-maybe on your way home to Bensenville, maybe when picking up a friend from O'Hare. Also, sadly, in 2018, Chicago Police reported an increase in hit-and-run accidents, and nationwide they are at historic highs.
In the moments after a hit-and-run crash, you'll be in shock-still processing what just happened. The next steps you take are crucial because you never know when a hit-and-run driver could leave you or a loved one severely injured in an accident.
Here are some tips if you find yourself in a hit-and-run accident:
1. Pull over safely and report the accident to 911. If anyone is injured, seek medical help immediately and have police respond to file an accident report.
2. If you are OK, write down or document everything you remember about the car that hit you. What color was it? If you recognized the make and model, note that, as well as if you remember even a partial license plate number. Any information you remember could help police locate the hit-and-run driver.
3. If you have a smartphone, photograph the accident scene from all angles. If not, make an accident sketch. Getting documentation of the site will improve your chances if you need to make a significant injury claim.
4. Get witness information. If witnesses stop to help, make sure police get their version of how the accident occurred and you get their contact information.
5. Contact your insurance company. Unless police find the driver who hit you, you will need to pursue an injury claim with your insurance company.
6. Seek medical treatment immediately for any delayed injuries. Often, soft-tissue injuries like whiplash or back pain are not evident immediately. By seeking treatment if you do have a soft-tissue injury in the coming days, you will be able to document your injury, so your medical costs will be covered.
7. Consult a personal injury attorney immediately to navigate the ins and outs of this type of car collision. Kaiser Hafezi Law will ensure the best chance at receiving compensation for injuries in a hit-and-run case.